Forestry Museum

Sopron, Templom u. 4.

Tel.: +36 99/338-870;

 

The Collection of Forestry, Wood Industry and Land Surveying History is an institute of the Faculty of Forestry. It was established as early as the origins of national forestry education.

The first collection was established by Henry David Wilckens (1763-1832) a college professor of Forestry, based in Selmecbánya (Banská ©tiavnica). His successors have been steadily enriching the collection. In 1982 the first Hungarian Forestry Museum was closed as a consequence a shortage of funds, and thus the separate collection of forest utilization and technical display items  (established in 1885 at the Selmec College) has become the only significant collection of professional demonstration materials. The new Forestry Palace, inaugurated in 1892 gave shelter to a valuable collection of specimens of botany, forest protection, forest planting and maintenance, zoology, forest management planning, dendrometry, forest utilization and technical relics, hunting and fishing specimens, and demonstration equipment.

The world-famous collections suffered from serious damage in the two world wars. In 1982, the cultural ministry ordered the University to maintain the Forestry, Wood Industry and Land-Surveying History Collections. With the 175-year anniversary of higher education in forestry, on 27th August 1983, the museum collection was given a permanent exhibition.

The Forestry Museum is still in the Esterhazy Palace and continues collecting objects of the history of forestry and of the Alma Mater. Apart from its own exhibitions, it houses various events, permanent and temporary exhibitions. In addition, the Museum arranges exhibitions to demonstrate the Forestry Faculty’s activities outside the university. Every year it organises forest pedagogy practices where thousands of children can learn about the work of foresters, wood engineers and surveyors. The courses emphasize knowledge, awareness, love and protection of nature.